Chief of StaffApply Here
About the job
We are looking to grow the Obvious Ventures family with a Chief of Staff who will work directly with the Co-founder and Managing Director based in our San Francisco office (and initially working remotely as many of us are doing).
We hope to find an administrative professional with a unique combination of curiosity and attention to detail. Our ideal candidate knows how to bring order to chaos and effortlessly juggle projects while representing the firm and our values. This position is a combination of executive assistant priorities and project management tracking of a broad range of investment opportunities.
- Scheduling & related communication: Provide accurate, responsive, and respectful communications with entrepreneurs and limited partners and take the lead on scheduling calls and in-person meetings.
- Connecting the dots: Using a mix of curiosity, research, and good judgement—prioritize opportunities for the Managing Director and the Obvious team.
- Deal tracking: Record new investment opportunities in our deal tracking system and continue to follow and update the status of those deals throughout our due diligence life cycle.
- Limited Partner tracking: Record all engagement with our limited partners in our tracking system and continue to follow and update the status of those engagements throughout our fundraising cycle and beyond.
- Portfolio tracking: Stay on top of scheduling board meetings as well as organizing board decks.
- Network development: Update and maintain contact databases and LinkedIn connections on behalf of the Managing Director.
- Short-form writing and networking: Collaborate with the Managing Director to draft and publish thematic articles as well as organize small gatherings focusing on the future of healthcare, finance, and marketplaces.
Who you are
We are looking for someone that adds to our optimistic, forward-looking team culture. The position does require strong organization and communications skills, including:
- Detail oriented. Do you proofread your tweets for grammar and spelling errors before sending? Repeatedly reorganize your home filing and kitchen drawer systems for efficiency? That’s the kind of attention to detail we’re looking for.
- Completion junkie. Does your brain focus on the goal and stay focused until you get there? Do you prefer finishing to starting? That’s the inbox-zero mentality we’re seeking.
- Curious about everything. Emerging technologies, software, hardware, plant-based food—you name it. You enjoy learning about it all.
- Master organizer. Do you enjoy organizing? Bringing order to a disordered universe? Perfect.
- Great communicator. If you had more time, would you write a shorter letter? Pride yourself in that second revision of a team email that’s clearer and more concise? Bingo.
- (Just enough) experience. Ideally you’re already experienced in this type of role. That said, we’d love to hear from candidates with at least two years of work experience after undergrad in a position that required core organization, project management, and written communications skills.
- Table stakes. You live and work by high ethical standards, keep confidential information confidential, and possess an ability to tolerate many, many puns.