Data EngineerApply HereContact Employer
Implement current state-of-the-art data infrastructure and (machine learning) algorithms for ecosystem modeling for use of internal analytics and external consumption, with a focus on (big) data collecting and cleaning. Initially, your focus will be leading the development of cutting-edge research to develop new ecosystem models.
- To develop standardized carbon calculation tools for Nature Based Solutions (+other types of projects) to empower project developers to restore land using a variety of interventions.
- Develop GIS Tools to check land cover history; land usage practices
- Building digital mapping tools to assess permanence/additionality of projects on an ongoing basis.
- Develop predictive financial models which incorporate a variety of different project related factors
- Come up with creative solutions to expanding the data available for model building purposes (satellites, remote censors, drones, publicly available data, subscription data).
- A passionate professional with a deep love for nature and a desire to build a more integrated future for humanity.
- 3 - 10+ years software development with a focus on backend, APIs, database (noSQL, SQL), (big) data, machine learning, devops.
- Experience with GIS/Spatial Data Analysis
- Comfortable building products from scratch and scaling them.
- Built multiple full-stack projects that included cutting edge technologies
- Expert in > 1 programming language - python + preferably at least one dynamic/interpreted language
- Experience in performance optimization, scaling solutions
- Familiarity with cloud-based infrastructure, specifically SaaS based solutions
- Knowledge of the current tech ecosystem, state of the art trends, and announcements
- An entrepreneurial mindset - comfortable with wearing multiple hats and working closely both with scientists and with customers and frontend engineers to rapidly iterate toward the best possible solution.
What we value
- Leaders who will ensure we reach our vision for the best engineering and climate science teams in Canada
- Motivating leaders who spend time contextualizing and sharing the company’s strategic goals to help others feel connected and involved
- Driven, performance-focused leaders who don’t just run teams, but who constantly push them to achieve and level them up
- Startup innovators who understand that we can’t move faster or win by creating endless processes, approvals, checkpoints, policies, or rules
- Confident managers who can hold others accountable, and who speak out against mediocre or sub-par results anywhere at Sequestr.
- Highly ambitious, big-picture thinkers who can imagine what Sequestr can be and can execute on our plan to get there in an impossibly short time.
- Mission-oriented culture — if we can help you succeed and achieve your personal missions while sequestering emissions, all the better
- Training / education as requested — if you’re interested in taking courses, or additional education to improve personally and/or professionally, we will compensate what we can!
- Yearly WFH office budget for upgrades/improvements
- Unlimited vacations but we mandate 3 weeks of time off per year — this is to encourage work-life balance, and reduce the risk of burnout.
Sequestr aims to scale up quality supply within the carbon markets. We do this by vertically stacking pilot development, plan to scale, MRV tools, project registration, and project financing at each stage of project development. At the core of this is a standardized carbon rights management layer, a framework that increases funding availability and profitability to sequestration projects while providing future rights for businesses to generate and retire offsets. This layer also allows other protocols to build financial tools on top of our stack to allow for the liquidity and financial tools required to solve the chicken-or-the-egg problem in these markets today.