Director of InsightsApply HereContact Employer
Who we are
We are a VC-funded microbial sciences company developing applications of microbes for both human and environmental health. We are headquartered in Venice, California with a presence in New York, Boston, Taipei, France, and Australia. Our team, collaborators, and advisory board include scientists leading their field with breakthrough discoveries in various areas of microbiome research, as well as marketers, brand builders, operators and storytellers who have worked across disciplines from razors to rockets.
We founded our consumer life science brand, Seed, to disrupt the $60B+ global probiotics market by bringing much-needed science, precision, efficacy and education to the crowded and confusing global landscape of ‘probiotics.’ With the Company’s Scientific Board of leading microbiome researchers, clinicians and academic partners, we develop therapies and probiotic innovations across gastroenterology, dermatology, oral hygiene, pediatrics, women’s health, and nutrition.
Our brand is often recognized not just for our science, but for our commitment to science communication and design. We’ve won awards such as Fast Company’s “World Changing Ideas” in 2019, 2020, and 2021; Time’s ‘Best Inventions 2018,’ and a Webby for ‘Best Use of Stories on Instagram.’
Director of Insights
What is the future of human health and our microbiome? If you’re already thinking about habit adoption curves, market analytics, primary consumer research studies, competitive intelligence, and strategic frameworks you would use to answer this question, keep reading.
You’ll be a founding member of our new Insights function—a department spotting our largest growth opportunities by generating and connecting dots between quantitative and qualitative data. To set this foundation, you will demonstrate that “insights” are more than bullets on a research report or statistical changes to a conversion rate; they are deeper narratives about how and why cohorts of humans will respond to a new idea about how to nurture their health.
You will have the opportunity to build a team in the future, but to kick off this function, build an external roster of consultants and researchers and identify the data we can generate internally to answer our largest questions. Start with these:
- What new product experiences should we develop and launch in the next 3 years? You will own all consumer research, market sizing, and adoption curve analyses to advise new product development—not just line extensions, but disruptive new forms and digital experiences, too.
- What new cohorts would be receptive to our current product portfolio and brand? You will own all segmentation, social listening, and audience sizing to advise new channel growth and geographical expansion—not just digital marketing campaigns, but entirely new business verticals.
To build a next-generation microbial sciences company, you’ll bring a next-generation approach to insights. You have a broader research toolbox than most—familiar with new methods like semiotics, behavioral economics, conjoint analysis, mobile ethnography, biometric response, sentiment analysis, and/or applied neuroscience—and can source market experts quickly where primary research isn’t necessary.
Most importantly, you will drive action and swift decision making. You don’t learn for the sake of learning, and your insights don’t sit dormant or unused. Armed with answers, you will manifest a clear vision of where we should go and what we should create to get there. That’s the power of insights.
Who you are...
- 7+ years of related consumer insights or market research experience
- Previous experience in CPG health + beauty or healthcare
- Previous experience advising on new product development projects
- Proficient in designing, conducting and analyzing primary qualitative and quantitative research
- Proficient in sourcing external suppliers to aid with research projects
- Ability to synthesize across multiple data sources (quant, qual, behavioral, secondary, etc.) into a clear and concise narrative
- Extraordinary written and verbal communication skills
- Flawless attention to detail in planning and execution of all assigned tasks